List of countries by continent
This is a list of the countries of the world by continent, according to the United Nations Statistics Division, displayed with their respective national flags and capitals. This list contains:
- Sovereign states (country names in bold), consisting of:
- The member states of the United Nations (UN).
- A UN-recognized non-member state: Vatican City.
- States not recognized by the UN, but recognized by or maintaining de facto international relations with many UN members: the Republic of China and Kosovo.
- Territories de facto not independent, but recognized by many UN members as entitled to sovereignty (country names in bold italics): the Palestinian territories and Western Sahara.
- Dependent territories, including the overseas departments of France and the special administrative regions of the People's Republic of China (country names in italics).
|Benin||Porto-Novo (seat of government at Cotonou)||Botswana||Gaborone|
|Central African Republic||Bangui||Chad||N'Djamena|
|Comoros||Moroni||Congo, Democratic Republic of (also known as Congo-Kinshasa)||Kinshasa|
|Congo, Republic of (also known as Congo-Brazzaville)||Brazzaville||Côte d'Ivoire (also commonly known as Ivory Coast)||Yamoussoukro (seat of government at Abidjan)|
|Mauritius||Port Louis||Mayotte (overseas territory of France)||Mamoudzou|
|Nigeria||Abuja||Réunion (overseas department of France)||Saint-Denis|
|Rwanda||Kigali||Saint Helena (overseas territory of the United Kingdom; including the territories of Ascension Island and Tristan da Cunha)||Jamestown|
|Sao Tome and Principe||São Tomé||Senegal||Dakar|
|Somalia||Mogadishu||South Africa||Pretoria (administrative), Cape Town (legislative), Bloemfontein (judicial)|
|Sudan||Khartoum||Swaziland||Mbabane (administrative), Lobamba (royal and legislative)|
|Tanzania||Dodoma (seat of government at Dar es Salaam)||Togo||Lomé|
|Western Sahara||El Aaiún (unofficial)||Zambia||Lusaka|
|British Indian Ocean Territory||(overseas territory of the United Kingdom)||Brunei||Bandar Seri Begawan|
|Cambodia||Phnom Penh||China, People's Republic of||Beijing|
|China, Republic of (commonly known as Taiwan)||Taipei||Christmas Island||(overseas territory of Australia)|
|Cocos (Keeling) Islands||(overseas territory of Australia)||Cyprus||Nicosia|
|Georgia||Tbilisi||Hong Kong||(special administrative region of the People's Republic of China)|
|Korea, Democratic People's Republic of (commonly known as North Korea)||Pyongyang||Korea, Republic of (commonly known as South Korea)||Seoul|
|Macau||(special administrative region of the People's Republic of China)||Malaysia||Kuala Lumpur (seat of government at Putrajaya)|
|Myanmar (also commonly known as Burma)||Naypyidaw||Nepal||Kathmandu|
|Palestinian territories||(collectively the territories of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip)||Philippines||Manila|
|Singapore||Singapore||Sri Lanka||Sri Jayewardenepura Kotte|
|Thailand||Bangkok||Timor-Leste (also commonly known as East Timor)||Dili|
|United Arab Emirates||Abu Dhabi||Uzbekistan||Tashkent|
|Anguilla (overseas territory of the United Kingdom)||The Valley||Antigua and Barbuda||Saint John's|
|Aruba (overseas country in the Kingdom of the Netherlands)||Oranjestad||Bahamas||Nassau|
|Bermuda (overseas territory of the United Kingdom)||Hamilton||British Virgin Islands (overseas territory of the United Kingdom)||Road Town|
|Canada||Ottawa||Cayman Islands (overseas territory of the United Kingdom)||George Town|
|Clipperton Island (overseas territory of France)|
|Costa Rica||San José||Cuba||Havana|
|Dominica||Roseau||Dominican Republic||Santo Domingo|
|El Salvador||San Salvador||Greenland (overseas territory of Denmark)||Nuuk|
|Grenada||Saint George's||Guadeloupe (overseas department of France)||Basse-Terre|
|Martinique (overseas department of France)||Fort-de-France||Mexico||Mexico City|
|Montserrat (overseas territory of the United Kingdom)||Plymouth (seat of government at Brades)||Navassa Island (overseas territory of the United States)|
|Netherlands Antilles (overseas country in the Kingdom of the Netherlands)||Willemstad||Nicaragua||Managua|
|Panama||Panama City||Puerto Rico (overseas territory of the United States)||San Juan|
|Saint Barthélemy (overseas territory of France)||Gustavia||Saint Kitts and Nevis||Basseterre|
|Saint Lucia||Castries||Saint Martin (overseas territory of France)||Marigot|
|Saint Pierre and Miquelon (overseas territory of France)||Saint-Pierre||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||Kingstown|
|Trinidad and Tobago||Port of Spain||Turks and Caicos Islands (overseas territory of the United Kingdom)||Cockburn Town|
|United States||Washington, D.C.||United States Virgin Islands (overseas territory of the United States)||Charlotte Amalie|
|Argentina||Buenos Aires||Bolivia||Sucre (seat of government at La Paz)|
|Falkland Islands (overseas territory of the United Kingdom)||Stanley||French Guiana (overseas department of France)||Cayenne|
Oceania is a geopolitical region, rather than a continent, consisting of many countries in the Pacific Ocean, including those in the continent of Australia and the Pacific Islands.
|American Samoa (overseas territory of the United States)||Pago Pago (seat of government at Fagatogo)||Australia||Canberra|
|Baker Island||(overseas territory of the United States)||Cook Islands (territory in free association with New Zealand)||Avarua|
|Fiji||Suva||French Polynesia (overseas territory of France)||Papeete|
|Guam (overseas territory of the United States)||Hagåtña||Howland Island||(overseas territory of the United States)|
|Jarvis Island||(overseas territory of the United States)||Johnston Atoll||(overseas territory of the United States)|
|Kingman Reef||(overseas territory of the United States)||Kiribati||South Tarawa|
|Midway Atoll||(overseas territory of the United States)||Nauru||no official capital (seat of government at Yaren)|
|New Caledonia (overseas territory of France)||Nouméa||New Zealand||Wellington|
|Niue (territory in free association with New Zealand)||Alofi||Norfolk Island (overseas territory of Australia)||Kingston|
|Northern Mariana Islands (overseas territory of the United States)||Saipan||Palau||Melekeok|
|Palmyra Atoll||(overseas territory of the United States)||Papua New Guinea||Port Moresby|
|Pitcairn Islands (overseas territory of the United Kingdom)||Adamstown||Samoa||Apia|
|Solomon Islands||Honiara||Tokelau (overseas territory of New Zealand)||no official capital (each atoll has its own administrative centre)|
|Vanuatu||Port Vila||Wake Island||(overseas territory of the United States)|
|Wallis and Futuna (overseas territory of France)||Mata-Utu|
Antarctica, including all territorial claims by sovereign states, is regulated by the Antarctic Treaty System, which defines it as all land and ice shelves south of 60°S. Several dependent territories include sub-Antarctic islands north of 60°S.
|Bouvet Island||overseas territory of Norway|
|French Southern Territories||overseas territory of France|
|Heard Island and McDonald Islands||overseas territory of Australia|
|South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands||overseas territory of the United Kingdom|
- ↑ Geographic Regions United Nations Statistics Division. Retrieved November 3, 2020.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Georgia, and Turkey are classified as Asian countries by the United Nations Statistics Division Geographic Regions Retrieved November 3, 2020. However, they are often considered European countries, since their territories are either partly in Europe or in the vicinity of Europe and they have close political and historical ties with Europe (for example, they are members of the Council of Europe).
- ↑ The British Indian Ocean Territory is sometimes considered an African territory, since it was historically part of Mauritius.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Christmas Island and Cocos (Keeling) Islands are sometimes considered Oceanian territories, since they are dependent territories of Australia.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 This country is a city-state.
- ↑ Russia is generally considered a European country more than an Asian country, even though most of its territory is in Asia, since most of its population and also its capital are in Europe, and it has close political and historical ties with Europe. Among the federal districts of Russia, four are in Europe (Central, Southern, Northwestern and Volga), while three are in Asia (Far Eastern, Siberian and Urals).
- ↑ South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands is sometimes considered a South American territory, since it is administered from the Falkland Islands.
All links retrieved October 29, 2022.
- U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets U.S. Department of State.
- List of countries, territories and currencies European Commission.
- Administrative Divisions of Countries ("Statoids")
Gondwana • Laurasia • Pangaea • Pannotia • Rodinia • Columbia • Kenorland • Ur • Vaalbara
Mythical and theorized continents
Atlantis • Kerguelen Plateau • Lemuria • Mu • Terra Australis • Zealandia
New World Encyclopedia writers and editors rewrote and completed the Wikipedia article in accordance with New World Encyclopedia standards. This article abides by terms of the Creative Commons CC-by-sa 3.0 License (CC-by-sa), which may be used and disseminated with proper attribution. Credit is due under the terms of this license that can reference both the New World Encyclopedia contributors and the selfless volunteer contributors of the Wikimedia Foundation. To cite this article click here for a list of acceptable citing formats.The history of earlier contributions by wikipedians is accessible to researchers here:
The history of this article since it was imported to New World Encyclopedia:
Note: Some restrictions may apply to use of individual images which are separately licensed.