- () A manufactured item that, though still usable, fails to meet quality control standards.
- They were discounted because they contained blemishes, nicks or were otherwise factory seconds.
- () An additional helping of food.
- That was good barbecue. I hope I can get seconds.
- Another chance to achieve what should have been done the first time, usually indicating success this time around. (See second-guess.)
- (music) The interval between two adjacent notes in a diatonic scale (either or both of them may be raised or lowered from the basic scale via any type of accidental).
- The second gear of an engine.
- (baseball) Second base.
New World Encyclopedia writers and editors copied and adjusted this Wiktionary entry in accordance with NWE standards. This article abides by terms of the Creative Commons CC-by-sa 3.0 License (CC-by-sa), which may be used and disseminated with proper attribution. Credit for this article is due to both New World Encyclopedia contributors and the selfless volunteer contributors of the Wikimedia Foundation. To cite this article click here for a list acceptable citing formats.The history of earlier contributions at Wiktionary is accessible to researchers here: