Borrowed from Latin area ("a piece of level ground," "a vacant place").
area (plural areas or areæ)
- (mathematics) A measure of squared distance.
- A particular geographic region.
- Any particular extent of surface.
- The photo is a little dark in that area.
- Figuratively, any extent, scope or range of an object or concept.
- The plans are a bit vague in that area.
- area code
- gray area, grey area
New World Encyclopedia writers and editors copied and adjusted this Wiktionary entry in accordance with NWE standards. This article abides by terms of the Creative Commons CC-by-sa 3.0 License (CC-by-sa), which may be used and disseminated with proper attribution. Credit for this article is due to both New World Encyclopedia contributors and the selfless volunteer contributors of the Wikimedia Foundation. To cite this article click here for a list acceptable citing formats.The history of earlier contributions at Wiktionary is accessible to researchers here: