Jackie Wilson was a rare performer whose exuberant singing style had a unique, infectious quality. His gospel roots were particularly apparent in his biggest hits: "Lonely Teardrops" and "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher." These two songs—one speaking of the pain of false love and the other speaking of the inspirational quality of true love—typify the two extremes of love spoken of frequently in the the words of the Reverend Sun Myung Moon:
- God will always raise up those who are on the side of true love, bringing them higher and higher, while those who are on the side of false love will diminish below God's domain.
Wilson himself ran into deep trouble because he could not remain faithful to his wife. By the time he recorded "Higher and Higher," however, he had remarried, remaining with his second wife until his death. One would like to think that "Higher and Higher" is now his theme song in the next world:
- Your love is lifting me higher
- Than I've ever been lifted before
- So keep it it up, quench my desire
- And I'll be at your side, forever more